If you are out and about around water you can help to stay safe by:
- never swimming or jumping into open water (if there’s no lifeguard then don’t swim). Cold Water Shock can kill in just 60 seconds and you never know what's lurking beneath the surface
- letting someone know where you are going and when you are coming back, if possible
- taking any warning or safety signs seriously
- looking out for hazards around water and sticking to proper pathways
- never entering the water to rescue your dog - who will rescue you?
Film: Dangers of water
Watch the film below featuring Watch Manager, Simon Dowling talking about the dangers of water and reminding us how to stay safe.
Water safety activities and resources
Water safety game
Recommended for children aged 5-8 – can you spot the hazards in the game below? (Game opens in a new tab)
Follow below links for advice and information to help keep you and your family safe
Royal Life Saving Society website
Canal and River Trust website
Water Safety game
Family and friends remind people of open water dangers