Reservoirs and Open Water Safety
When you are out and about around Greater Manchester's waterways you can stay safe by:
- Never jumping into or swimming in open water (including reservoirs, rivers, canals and ponds).
- Cold Water Shock can kill in 60 seconds, you never know what's lurking beneath the surface, and under-water currents can be deadly.
- Letting someone know where you are going and when you are coming back, if possible
- Taking any warning or safety signs seriously.
- Looking out for hazards around water and sticking to proper pathways Never entering the water to rescue your dog - who will rescue you?