Fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly
- Fit smoke alarms on each level of your home - it's the simplest, single step you can take to cut the risk of dying from fire in your home
- Test the batteries in your smoke alarm every week and change them every year - never remove them
- Many people killed in house fires are asleep at the time.
- A smoke alarm will wake you up and give you vital extra time to escape.
- Costing from as little as £5, there really is no excuse for not having a smoke alarm in your home.
Did you know?
A smoke alarm could save you in a fire
90 people die each year because their smoke alarm is not working
Most fires start when people are cooking
Every 3 days someone dies from a fire started by a cigarette
Broken electrics start about 7,000 fires a year