Cooker Cut off Devices
Do I need a smoke alarm or heat alarm in my kitchen?
Smoke alarms detect smoke- fit a least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home. But are less suitable for steamy, sometimes-smoky kitchens. Instead, we recommend a heat alarm that detects changes in temperature. They won't go off if you boil steamy rice or singe your toast. They are just as easy to fit as smoke alarms, and you can buy them from as little as £10 from DIY stores and online.
In addition to installing alarms, if you or a family member are more at risk when cooking, for instance, when a person has an illness that makes them more liable to forget, we advise looking into further safety technology, such as Cooker Cut off Devices.
Stove Guards or Cooker Cut off Devices
Stove guard or Cooker Cut off Devices can be particularly useful in homes where using the hob becomes high risk due to a person’s advanced age, Alzheimer’s and dementia, disability, or learning difficulties.
These can be installed to any electric hob or cooker:
- A sensor is mounted on the wall behind the hob or the cooker, or to the cooker hood, or the ceiling.
- The sensor monitor’s the hob, sensing heat, the rise in heat, smoke, steam, and human presence.
- If it detects a dangerous situation it instructs the power control unit, which is fitted between the power output and the hob to cut the power preventing a fire.
They can connect to telecare, or Building management system (BMS), enabling staff to be alerted when the power has been cut to protect the resident.
We advise anyone considering purchasing one to investigate different options and ensure they are fitted by a qualified specialist when needed.
How they work?
They will cut the power if the:
- Food has started to burn or if a pan has boiled dry
- temperature is becoming dangerously high
- hob/cooker has been left unattended
- temperature is rising too quickly
- cooker/hob is inadvertently left on after cooking has finished
The sensor warns the user if a dangerous situation is likely to occur with a visual and audio alarm. If the user is not in attendance and does not take action and does not press the reset button on the sensor the power to the hob/cooker will be cut.