Selling Explosives

General information about selling explosives

Sales of fireworks, without holding a sales licence, are allowed during the following defined periods;

  • 15th October to 10th November 

  • 26th December to 31st December 

  • The 1st day of Diwali and the 3 days preceding it

  • The day of Chinese New Year and the 3 days preceding it 

Anyone wishing to sell fireworks outside of these defined periods must also apply for a 'year-round' sales licence under the Firework Regulations 2004, applications can only accepted where there is a current storage licence is place.

Year-Round Sales Licence Application 

Any premises selling or displaying adult fireworks for sale must display the following notices to comply with Regulation 10(1) and 10(2) of the Firework Regulations 2004, the notices must be a minimum size of 400mm X 300mm

  • It is illegal to sell adult fireworks to anyone under the age of 18

  • it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to possess fireworks in a public place

Supply of over 50Kg NEC

Any transaction of 50Kg NEC or over must be recorded and, if requested, provided to the GMFRS. Suppliers are required under Regulation 10(3) of the Fireworks Regulations 2004 to record the following information 

  • the name and address of the person who supplied the fireworks to them

  • the name and address of the person whom they are supplying the fireworks

  • the date the fireworks were supplied to them

  • the date when they supplied or proposes to supply the fireworks to another person

  • the total amount of explosives contained in the fireworks supplied