View our Youtube Videos Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Cross The Line

Neighbour Disputes

If you are having problems with your neighbours, please follow this advice:

1) Talk to your neighbour about it. Often the most effective way to deal with neighbour disputes is to speak to them about it yourself. The people causing you nuisance may not be aware of how it is affecting you.

Here are some tips:

  • Try and stay calm and friendly.
  • Explain what the problem is and how it affects you and makes you feel.
  • Suggest a compromise.
  • Try to listen to the other person and don't interrupt when they are talking.
  • Try not to shout even if the other person does.
  • If the person is being unreasonable then walk away.

You should not approach the person if you feel frightened or intimidated by them.

2) If your neighbour is a tenant you can contact their landlord.

3) You could use mediation services if raising the issue informally doesn't work. Your Council, housing provider or local police force (for the Greater Manchester area this is Greater Manchester Police [GMP]) may offer these services: please note these services differ depending on where you live.

4) If the dispute is regarding land disputes, access rights etc., this is a civil matter and residents are advised to contact a solicitor to seek legal advice.

To report a crime call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Call 999 only in emergencies where there is a threat to life or property or a crime in progress.

Download our How to resolve neighbour disputes poster

For further information and advice regarding How To Resolve Neighbour Disputes, visit

Summer Water Safety Advice Summer Countryside Safety Advice Childrens Safety Advice
Barbecue Safety Advice
Spring Outdoor Safety
Smoking Fire Safety Tips
Home Fire Risk Assessment
Fire Safety Advice for parents and carers