"Our emergency services put their lives on the line every single day that they step into their uniforms” – warning following another firefighter attack this Bonfire Night
FIREFIGHTERS from across Greater Manchester attended just over 200 incidents to help protect communities across the city-region on Bonfire Night this year.
Despite this year being the quietest Bonfire Night the Service has had since 2005, firefighters still came under attack.
At 6.35pm firefighters from Blackley Community Fire Station attended an incident involving two bonfires on open land in Greendale Drive, Manchester.
On arrival firefighters were faced with a group of young people who began to throw timber and bottles towards the fire engine.
The crew immediately withdrew to a safe location before requesting attendance from colleagues at Greater Manchester Police (GMP). Once officers arrived, they came under attack from the young people who began to throw fireworks.
The firefighters assessed the scene and decided that as the fires were not affecting property and there was no risk to life, they left the incident for their own safety.
Deputy Mayor of Greater Manchester Bev Hughes said: “This behaviour is shocking. Now more than ever Greater Manchester needs to stand together and support one another through what has been an extremely challenging eight months.
“Our emergency service workers put their lives on the line every single day that they step into their uniforms to protect the people of Greater Manchester and they should never have to come under attack. Please think about your actions.
“I’d like to thank all our fire service staff, North West Fire Control operators and GMP for their work throughout the Bonfire period, particularly as they continue to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service dealt with 421 calls from 4pm on yesterday (Thursday 5 November) to 8am today (Friday 6 November) – with crews attending 202 incidents. This is a decrease compared to last year, where 272 incidents were attended across the city-region.
Crews working at stations across Greater Manchester also attended a variety of incidents including a number of bin fires, bonfires, house fires and more over the busy Bonfire period.
Chief Fire Officer Dave Russel said: “Thankfully no one was injured at the incident last night. Our crews along with colleagues from GMP, North West Ambulance Service and North West Fire Control worked exceptionally hard last night to keep the people of Greater Manchester safe.
“I’d like to thank those of you who chose not to have fireworks and bonfires at home this year, and also to the people that did do safely to keep our crews available to attend real life emergency incidents. Please continue to follow our advice and Government guidance throughout the weekend.
“A firefighter doing their job, protecting their community, and ensuring that you and your family are safe, should never be subject to an attack. Thankfully nobody was injured during the attack and the crew involved remained on duty to continue protecting the public.”
If you are looking to have fireworks over the weekend please remember to follow our safety advice which can be found by visiting www.safe4autumn.com.
06/11/2020 13:07 PM