Stay safe during Hanukkah by following fire service advice
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) is wishing our Jewish communities a safe and happy Hanukkah.
Ahead of the Jewish festival which begins at the weekend (Sunday 28 November) the Service is encouraging members of the community across the city-region to celebrate safely. Last year, coronavirus restrictions meant many couldn’t celebrate how they normally would and GMFRS urges you to be particularly careful if you are gathering with friends and family again.
If you are celebrating Hanukkah this year, there are a few simple steps that you can take to keep you and your family safe:
- Ensure candles and oils are placed firmly in the menorah on a flat, heat resistant surface
- Keep the menorah away from flammable material including curtains and furniture
- Ensure there is at least three feet between the menorah and any surface above it
- Never move the menorah when lit and don’t leave it unattended
- Keep the menorah out of reach of children
- Ensure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home
- Only use suitable glass or metal containers to burn candles or oil in
Area Manager, Ben Levy said: “Hanukkah is a very special occasion for the Jewish community, and I hope everyone celebrating will be able to come together again this year.
“I would urge everyone to follow our fire safety advice when using the menorah and cooking during Hanukkah because I want us all to have a safe and happy celebration.
“Familiarising yourself with our simple fire safety advice and making sure you have smoke alarms on every floor of your house could save a life.
“If you do come across a fire then don’t panic, take risks or try to tackle the fire yourself. Remember ‘pikuach nefesh’ - get out, stay out and call 999.”
Over the years GMFRS have responded to a number of fires that have involved candles, including candles used during Hannukah celebrations and we want to make sure everyone follows our advice and celebrates safely.
You can also check more Hanukkah fire safety guidance on our website here: Hannukkah fire safety advice
From everyone at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service have a happy and safe Hanukkah.
25/11/2021 13:55 PM