“Stay safe ahead of Hanukkah celebrations” warns fire service
HAVE a safe and happy Hanukkah is the message from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
Ahead of the Jewish festival which begins later this week (Sunday 22 December) the Service is encouraging members of the community across the city-region to celebrate safely this year.
The call comes as a reminder after Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service attended a number of house fires during Hanukkah in recent years.
Thankfully at these incidents no one was harmed, although there was substantial damage to one of the properties in Salford which dampened the festivities.
Area Manager, Ben Levy said: “Hanukkah is a special occasion for the Jewish community and we want everyone to celebrate safely.
“These pictures show all too clearly why being safe during Hanukkah is important and I would urge everyone to take the time to familiarise themselves with our simple fire safety advice before getting the celebrations underway.
“If you do come across a fire then don’t panic, take risks or try to tackle the fire yourself. Remember ‘pikuach nefesh’ - get out, stay out and call 999.”
Unfortunately firefighters attend a number of house fires started by unattended candles each year.
Ben added: “Luckily in these incidents nobody was injured but the families involved had to face the devastation of not being able to return to their homes during what should be a special time of celebration with loved ones.
“Please have a happy and safe Hanukkah. Chag Sameach.”
If you are celebrating Hanukkah this year there are a few simple steps that you can take to keep you and your family safe:
- Ensure candles and oils are placed firmly in the menorah on a flat, heat resistant surface
- Keep the menorah away from flammable material including curtains and furniture
- Ensure there is at least three feet between the menorah and any surface above it
- Never move the menorah when lit and don’t leave it unattended
- Keep the menorah out of reach of children
- Ensure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home
- Only use suitable glass or metal containers to burn candles or oil in
18/12/2019 14:45 PM