Contact Us

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service


146 Bolton Road

Swinton, Manchester

M27 8US

Tel: 0161 736 5866

For a FREE Safe and Well visit please call:

0800 555 815

Industrial unit fire – Stockport

Borough: Stockport

Incident Date: 13 December 2016

Update 3pm Wednesday, December 14, 2016

An investigation has taken place today and it is believed that the blaze started accidentally during the printing process.

Industrial unit fire - Stockport

At 5.46pm on Tuesday, Dec 13, the fire service was called to a fire involving a commercial premises on Newby Road Industrial Estate, Hazel Grove, Stockport.

A fire had broken out inside a unit measuring 40m by 15m containing paper materials, printing machinery and stationery. Six fire engines and an aerial ladder platform were requested to attend the incident.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels, jets, ultra-high pressure cold-cutting lances and fans to contain and then extinguish the fire over the following six hours.

Shortly before 9pm assistance was requested from two further crews to assist with firefighting. The incident was also supported by the command support unit and other emergency services. The crews that attended included Gorton, Whitehill, Stockport, Cheadle, Offerton, Marple and Wythenshaw, the aerial ladder platform from Stretford, command support units from Rochdale and Hyde and rescue unit from Ashton.

Station Manager Steve Twinn said: “Firefighters have been working hard to contain the fire and put it out. There has been some smoke in the area while we’ve been dealing with the incident and we ask any residents affected by the smoke to keep their windows and doors closed throughout the night and into the morning.

“We have been working with the owners of the business and our partners to deal with this incident and fire crews have been doing their best to remove quantities of machinery and materials from the property, when it has been safe to do so, to help the affected business as much as possible.”

No one was involved in the fire.

It was identified that roof asbestos was present in the unit and as a precaution hazardous materials decontamination of firefighters and equipment was carried out.

At about midnight the incident was mostly extinguished and all fire engines and support vehicles returned to station over the next hour. Two fire crews remained on the scene to dampen down remaining hotspots overnight.

A fire investigation officer along with other agency officers will return to the site in daylight hours this morning to investigate the cause of the fire.

Last update: 14/12/2016 15:14:00
Subscribe to the Latest Incidents feed Bookmark and Share