Contact Us

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service


146 Bolton Road

Swinton, Manchester

M27 8US

Tel: 0161 736 5866

For a FREE Safe and Well visit please call:

0800 555 815

Firefighters tackle large blaze in Trafford Park

Borough: Trafford

Incident Date: 17 August 2014

photo%201_184x132.jpg    photo%202_199x132.jpg

Update at 3pm Tuesday, August 19

FIREFIGHTERS have now left the scene where there was a huge blaze in Trafford Park.

The fire completely destroyed the building involved and the site has this afternoon been handed over to the site owner.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage.

Update at 5pm Monday, August 18

A FIRE crew will remain at the scene of a blaze in Trafford Park throughout the night.

It's after firefighters were called to a fire involving a single storey industrial unit on Westinghouse Road just after 9.30pm on Sunday, August 17.

Jets were used to bring the fire under control along with an aerial monitor from the hydraulic platform vehicle.

Crews have spent today (Monday, August 18) at the scene getting water onto the unit and liaising with partner agencies.

Watch Manager Alan Dook, from Wythenshawe Community Fire Station, has been in charge of the incident this afternoon.  He said: "Electricity North West have isolated the supply to the unit and a dangerous buildings inspector has visited the site.

"One fire engine will relieve the current crew later in the evening and will remain on the scene throughout the night.

"There are still hotspots of fire within the building but it's too dangerous for us to enter so we're continuing to get water onto it using jets."

8.30am Monday, August 18

Firefighters have spent the night tackling a large blaze involving a single storey building on Westinghouse Road, Trafford Park.

There were approximately 40 firefighters working to control the fire at its height after reports of smoke was seen in the area at 9.33pm last night (Sunday, August 17).

In addition to an intense blaze, crews were also faced with the hazard of a number of cylinders in the unit and surrounding buildings.

Once cylinders were removed and the area made safe for firefighters to enter the building, they were able to fight the fire and get it under control.

Group Manager Ian Bailey said: "When we first arrived the building was well alight and there was a lot of smoke coming from the building.

"Firefighters were also faced with an additional hazard as there were a number of cylinders in the unit and adjacent units.  They have now been removed so it means that crews can now gain entry to the building and fight the fire.

"The crews worked extremely hard to get the fire under control, which was difficult in such windy conditions."

The cause of the fire is still being investigated.

Last update: 23/03/2016 08:19:35
Subscribe to the Latest Incidents feed Bookmark and Share