Who needs a licence?


In simple terms if you are planning to store more than 5kg nec (Net explosive content) and less than 2000kgs nec of explosives then you will need a licence.

An additional licence is required if you are planning on selling fireworks all year round.

When can I sell fireworks?

You are only allowed to sell fireworks during the following periods:

  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately before it
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately before it
  • during the period October 15 to November 10
  • during the period December 26 to December 31

If you wish to sell fireworks outside the above defined selling periods then you will need an ‘all year round’ selling licence in addition to the explosives storage licence. It is an offence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004 to sell outside these periods without a selling licence and you may be prosecuted.

To apply for an ‘all year round‘selling licence you need to contact firesafetyadmin@manchesterfire.gov.uk or telephone 0161 608 4040 and request an application form. The cost of the annual licence is £500.

Additional information

Explosives (Fireworks, Pyrotechnics and Small Arms Ammunition)

Are fully defined in the New Explosives Regulations 2014 (ER14)


Are explosive articles with UN numbers 0333 to 0337 and defined under The Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2010 as 'pyrotechnic articles for entertainment purposes'

Legislation / Guidance

The new Explosive Regulations will be supported by a suite of overarching and subsector guidance. The overarching guidance consists of three documents:

ER14 Guidance on Regulations – Safety Provisions L150 http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l150.htm<>

ER14 Guidance on Regulations – Security Provisions L151 http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l151.htm  

ER14 Guidance on Regulations - Fireworks in Retail Premises http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg407.htm

A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)(link to our FAQ) provides furtherinformation and guidance can be found on the HSE website (provide link to HSE explosives website). 

Last update: 29/06/2016 10:50:45
Bookmark and Share