Apply Online

It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of, and comply with, the Explosives Regulations 2014. As the licensing authority we have the power to prohibit storage of explosives at the site if we believe the site is no longer suitable. We may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.

Please note that new licence requests will only be granted for one year, the renewal of existing licences may be granted for up to five years depending on your compliance history.

When filling in the application form you are required to choose from the following;

Explosive Type

Hazard Type 4 (HT4) - You may store up to 250kgs NEC before separation distances are applied. If your storage is adjoining or in the same building as domestic/sleeping accommodation, then you may be restricted to up to 75kgs NEC

Hazard Type 3 (HT3) - You can only store up to 25kgs NEC before separation distance are applied.

Mix of HT3 & HT4 - When storing both hazard types all the explosives will be classed as HT3, therefore you may only store 25kgs NEC before separation distances apply.


5kgs – 25Kgs Storage Licence

This option only applies if you wish to store any HT3 fireworks and are unable to maintain any separation distances.

5kg to 250kgs Storage Licence

The amount you can store will be dictated by your risk assessment and the explosives inspecting officers. You must also show an understanding of the firework guidance relating to safe storage and selling of fireworks

251Kgs to 2000Kgs Storage Licence

This option allows for bulk storage of fireworks and separation distances will apply. The amount you can store will be dictated by your risk assessment, the distance between your premises from things such as footpaths, roads and other buildings and the approval of the explosives inspecting officer. You must also show an understanding of the firework guidance relating to safe storage and selling of fireworks.

If you wish to store more than 2000kgs of explosives you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive for a licence. Further information on licensing can be found at

Weight limits of explosives refer to Kgs Net Explosive Contact (NEC) which is the weight of the explosive powder contained within an article i.e. less packing, casing etc.

 The following documents should be submitted with the application form

A plan to a scale sufficient to show the location of the site in relation to its surroundings (i.e. named or numbered roads, hamlets, villages or geographical features).  Where the site does not have a postal address this should normally be a minimum scale of 1:25000

If you intend to store, process or manufacture explosives within  a building that is also used for other purposes you should include a floor plan showing the places within the building where you intend storing, processing or manufacturing the explosives. 

If you intend to store or display more than 12.5kgs NEC on a shop floor, you will be required to submit a floor plan of the sales area.

Applies to Separation Distances Only

If the store is subject to separation distances you will also need to provide an Ordinance Survey Siteplan (or similar) map showing the location of the store and distances to any neighbouring buildings. The scale will depend on the separation distance; up to 200m a 1:1250 would be required while a greater distance would require a 1:25000.

Renewal Of Licence

If you are renewing a licence and there are no changes to the storage arrangements which were agreed at the time of issuing the licence, then there are no requirements to re submit plans.

Important Information

In addition to the above you are required to carry out a site specific risk assessment based on the Dangerous Substances and Explosives Atmospheric Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) An Example can be found HEREYou will be required to produce a copy of this when an inspecting officer visits your premises.

You are required to have in place a current lease agreement for the premise that you will be using for the storage of fireworks and if applicable be able to provide proof of that lease to an inspecting officer during a site visit.

Please note that you should also have insurance to cover the storage of explosives.

You should only apply for a storage licence if you have suitable storage facilities already in place. Information on what is suitable can be found HERE.

If you have suitable storage then you can APPLY using the online application form HERE

You should have a separate licence for every premises where you wish to store explosives or display fireworks for sale.

You can find licence fees HERE

Last update: 05/10/2016 09:57:48
Bookmark and Share